Community Consultation Queanbeyan Palerang DIAP
You are invited to participate in developing a Disability Inclusion Access Plan (DIAP) for the Queanbeyan-Palerang Region. Council would like to meet with community members who have disabilities, their families and carers to discuss ways to support the inclusion of people with disabilities in our local communities. We also welcome community members who may not have a disability but may be interested in the Plan and can advocate for the broader community.
We will develop actions that will help to improve the information, services and facilities that Council provides, so they are more inclusive of people with disabilities. We will also consider Council’s role as an advocate to other agencies to improve outcomes for people with disabilities. Specifically, we will be talking about how Council can improve:
- Attitudes and behaviours towards people with disabilities.
- Access and inclusion in our community. (i.e. physical access, mobility and participation in community life).
- Access to employment.
- The navigation of systems and information.
The Plan considers disability in a broad light. We will consider barriers to participation in community life experienced by people who are frail-aged, people with physical, cognitive or sensory impairments and people with mental health conditions. We will also consider ways to reduce these barriers.
The consultation session takes about 1 hour and 30 mins includes:
- An introduction and overview of the Disability Inclusion Access Plan. (10 Mins).
- A group workshop to discuss and develop local strategies and actions under each of the four key themes above. (1 hour and 15 mins).
- Wrap up and continued feedback (5 mins).
The consultation will be held:
On: Wed 14 Dec from 6.00pm to 7.30pm
At: Stoney Creek Community Hall, Gathering Place (off Douglas Close), Carwoola
Please contact Debbie Gillman, Community Development Officer, Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council, with any queries relating to the Disability Inclusion Access Plan or the upcoming community consultations. Debbie can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org or 62856551 on Mons to Weds”.